Re: Secondarily featherless dromaeosaurs?

----- Original Message -----
From: Larry Dunn <majestic_cheese@yahoo.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 9:48 AM
Subject: Secondarily featherless dromaeosaurs?

> What's the current thinking, if any, about the
> feathered or non-feathered status of the larger
> members of theropod groups now known to have had
> feathered members (like therizinosaurs or
> dromaeosaurs)?
>
> How were these ideas reached?
>
> Was _Utahraptor_ feathered?  How about one of those
> honking big (to use the scientific phraseology)
> therizinosaurs?
Likewise, if Utahraptor was feathered and if the Coelurosaurian affinities
of Tyrannosaurs DO mean they have feathers, what are the predictions for
equal or lesser sized Tyrannosaurs than Utahraptor, such as Albertosaurus,
Alectrosaurus, Alioramus, etc...  Should we be depicting them with dinofuzz
or scales?  Lastly, Darren Naish, I saw one of your talks at the dinosaur
collector's club convention a couple of years back (it was the year that
Mononykus was unveilled or re-unveilled there) and you showed a picture of a
juvenile? dromaeosaur with a plume of integument on it's tail tip.  Can you
(or anyone else for that matter) identify that Dromaeosaur for me please?

Yours,
           Sam