At 02:46 PM 11/19/99 -0500, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>It's pretty clear that there would have been no mass extinction without the
>impact.

Not at all. It is pretty clear that any mass extinction that occurred would
*probably* have been of lesser extent.  It might well have come out at the
level of the Late Triassic extinctions instead, or even down at the level
of the mid-Cretaceous extinctions. Of course it is also possible it would
not have happened at all.  We just cannot say at present.

(I say "probably" because it is hard to rule out the possibility that some
other factor would have done the job eventually if the impact hadn't
hastened things along).