In a message dated 11/19/99 11:05:19 PM EST, sarima@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< >It's pretty clear that there would have been no mass extinction without
the
 >impact.

 Not at all. It is pretty clear that any mass extinction that occurred would
 *probably* have been of lesser extent. >>

This is certainly not clear to me at all. I don't believe the dinosaurs were
on their way out at all at the end of the Cretaceous. A few groups might have
been in decline, but other groups (hadrosaurs, titanosaurs, ceratopians) were
doing just fine. Had there been no K-T impact, these groups certainly would
have continued to flourish well into what we call the Cenozoic. Dinosaur
faunas in Europe and South America were quite diverse and robust. I don't see
any dinosaurian mass extinction happening without the impact.