Dinosaur Genera List corrections #119

Apparently I sent this to the wrong address, not to the dinosaur list. Sorry!

We can add another name to the Dinosaur Genera List. Yesterday Ben Creisler
wrote:

"Monbaron, D. A. Russell, & Taquet, 1999. Atlasaurus
imelakei n.g., n.sp., a brachiosaurid-like sauropod from
the Middle Jurassic of Morocco. Comptes Rendus de
l'Academie des Sciences. Science de la terre and des
planetes. 329:519-517.

"Abstract--The nearly complete skeleton of a large sauropod
discovered at Wawmda (High Central Atlas of Morocco) in
strata of Bathonian-Callovian age represents a new taxon:
Atlasaurus imelakei n.g., n.sp. The sauropod appears to be
closer to Brachiosaurus than any other known known
sauropod, but possesses (relative to the length of the
dorsal vertebral column) a larger skull, shorter neck,
longer tail and more elongated limbs. The presence of
large sauropods of Middle Jurassic age is very important
in understanding the history  and the evolution of these
Mesozoic giants.

"Etymology: Atlasaurus: Atlas, the mountain chain from
Morocco and also Atlas, the giant
Imelake: (arabic)  giant

"The description of the specimen is abridged and
preliminary, and a fuller description will appear
elsewhere."

Accordingly, we add name #868 to the List:

Atlasaurus Monbaron, D. A. Russell & Taquet, 1999

Ben also confirms 1999 as correct publication date for basal sauropodomorph Sa
turnalia.
--- Begin Message ---
wrote:

[...]

--- End Message ---