At 01:40 AM 11/20/99 -0500, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>This is certainly not clear to me at all. I don't believe the dinosaurs were
>on their way out at all at the end of the Cretaceous. A few groups might have
>been in decline, but other groups (hadrosaurs, titanosaurs, ceratopians) were
>doing just fine. Had there been no K-T impact, these groups certainly would
>have continued to flourish well into what we call the Cenozoic. Dinosaur
>faunas in Europe and South America were quite diverse and robust. I don't see
>any dinosaurian mass extinction happening without the impact.

The problem is, I do not see how one could really tell.  Also note, I did
NOT say that all non-avian dinosaurs might have become extinct without the
impact.  I said that any extinctions which *might* have happened would have
been less extensive.  Less extensive means that many species that did
become extinct would not have.  Thus, without the impact it is very
probable that *some* dinosaur clades would have survived.

How many, and to what extent is indeterminable, at least at present.  There
might have been a minor mass extinction, such as the one that took place in
the Turonian, or there might have been an intermediate one, such as the
Late Triassic one, or there might have been none at all (if no other factor
except the impact was actually contributory to the extinctions).