        From:   Raymond Ancog [SMTP:rayancog@pacific.net.ph]
        Sent:   Saturday, November 20, 1999 4:39 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Re: EVIL FANGED CERAPODANS

        dbensen wrote:

        >Hey, and aren't lots of 'carnivores' known to eat vegetation for
roughage?
         Perhaps
        >'carnivory' and 'herbivory' are merely different gradations of
omnivory.

        Yes, like my dogs, who chew on blades of grass when I take them out
for
        walks. But I'd still call them carnivores, since (left-over food
from the
        dinner table aside) they are primarily flesh-eaters and secondarily
        plant-eaters. Though foxes are catholic in their choice of food.

        There was an article a few years ago, in the AMNH's own Natural
History, of
        (red?) squirrels preying on baby rabbits (shudder). And of course,
who can
        forget the picture of rats scavenging on just about anything?

        Dwight Stewart wrote:

        >   I think the terms carnivore and herbivore are meant to convey
dominant
        >dietary habits.  Chimps ocassionally eat
        >termintes, but that hardly makes them omnivores.

        Jane Goodall has documented cases of chimps eating antelopes,
monkeys, and
        even (more shudders) baby chimps, the latter apparently due to
fights over
        dominance. These make me omnivores, by my account.

        Which reminds me, is there a case of baby or juvenile dinosaur
skeletons
        turning up in the abdominal cavity of an adult? This has been
documented in
        ichthyosaurs, where some skeletons are those of young awaiting birth
and
        others apparently those unlucky indivuduals that were eaten.

        Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog
        Mines and Geosciences Bureau
        Philippines