Re: Jobaria and the Elephant Commit Suicide

Reply to:RE>>Jobaria and the Elephant Commit Suicide         12:41 PM
11/23/99

  If I were to animate a rearing sauropod, there would be several "key"
positions that would contribute to the finished pose.  Firstly, from the four
footed position,it would tilt forward so that most of it's weight was
transferred to it's forelimbs.  It would then give a little push from it's
forelimbs, and also use some neck motion to follow-through and increase the
inertia back towards the hips.  The C. F longus and the adductors would
probably be some of the last muscles to flex and finish the job, aiding in
stabilizing the animal when it was erect.  Throughout this whole process a
transfer of energy from the neck (either held horizontal or vertical) all the
way down to the tail would occur.  Imagine pushing one end of a teeter-totter
upwards.
  Another option would be to incorporate a downward thrust of the tail,
(again the teeter- totter model but in reverse) with all the other motions
noted above.
  For our movie we had a trainer force an elephant into several positions for
reference.  Something that was a definite factor in shifting weight from
front to back was the movement of the elephants guts.  As it stood you could
see them move back.  We made the poor thing sit down on a big metal chair,
and witnessed a terrible thing.  The weight of it's guts  being  compressed
like that caused it to pass wind, which was amplified by the chair like a
giant timpani drum!
  As you are all aware, in animation we greatly exaggerate movements, or else
it appears false.  A lot of what we do  is based on feeling as well.
However, if you ask Stuart Sumida, a paleontologist who lectures on animal
movement a Disney on a regular basis, would agree with me that sometimes if
it feels right, it is right.
  Anyway, thats my two cents.  More of an observation than an argument, but a
contribution nonetheless;)

  PS.  I believe the six minute trailor for "DINOSAUR" will be shown in front
of Toy Story 2 this weekend.  This may only be in California though. Sorry,
it's not that Disney needs any help advertising....
  David Krentz
Walt Disney Feature Animation.