Re: WHAT IS ELOPTERYX?

Darren Naish wrote about Elopteryx-

(snip) in A1234 the crista trochanteris and greater
trochanter form an odd square shape . . . .

If Elopteryx has a crista trochanteris (which is what happens when the
lesser and greater trochantors fuse, if I remember correctly), doesn't this
narrow down it's possible classification somewhat?  As far as I know, only
troodontids, mononykines, Rahonavis and pygostylians have a trochanteric
crest.

John Hutchinson wrote-

(snip) that sounds an awful lot like a posterior trochanter. Csiki and
Grigorescu describe a "well-developed posterior trochanter" in Elopteryx, .
. .

All of the above groups also have well-developed posterior trochantors
(except for ornithurans, and I'm not sure about confuciusornithids).  So,
Elopteryx is most probably a troodontid, mononykine or a non-ornithuran
member of the Rahonavis+pygostylian clade.  Does anyone know of any other
features that would help characterize it further?

Mickey Mortimer