At 02:36 PM 11/23/99 -0500, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/23/99 1:19:46 PM EST, jbois@umd5.umd.edu writes:
>
><< But glib assertions of asteroid-sufficiency suppress the pursuit of such
> riveting questions. >>
>
>Sorry, not glib. Asteroid impact >unquestionably< caused nonavian dinosaur
>extinction. It was >primary< cause.

I consider this statement to be far too strong given the present state of
the evidence.  It was probably the *final* causative factor, but that in
itself does NOT make it the >primary< cause.

It could only be properly called the primary cause if it is established
that there would have been more than a minor extinction given *only* the
impact.  Considering that there are some impact sites rivaling the Yucatan
crater in size with NO associated extinctions, this is, at the very least,
unproven.