In a message dated 11/23/99 8:35:56 PM EST, sarima@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< I consider this statement to be far too strong given the present state of
 the evidence.  It was probably the *final* causative factor, but that in
 itself does NOT make it the >primary< cause. >>

Without the asteroid impact, I assert that there would have been no mass
extinction, at worst a series of typical, ordinary extinctions stretching way
into the Cenozoic. This, as far as I'm concerned, makes it the primary cause.
There is no other remotely plausible candidate/theory for primary cause.