In a message dated 11/23/99 2:38:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

<<  We have smoking gun; what more do you need? >>

Well, we have the smoking crater.
I'm wondering what evidence would prove the impact to be the primary cause of
extinctions, as opposed to only one among a number of causes.
As you observed, 'There may have been secondary causes..., there may have
been more distant causes,... [t]here are undoubtedly other causes of mass
extinctions besides asteroid impact. There may be reasons why K-T impact was
deadly [when} others were not and... [the] details of how asteroid impact
accomplished this sweeping feat [require further examination].'
These seem like reasonable factors to examine before asserting the primacy of
the impact.  How else could you distinguish between a single and a proximate
cause?
>From here, a solution would require a substantial degree of precision from
the fossil record.
I've enjoyed reading about the warm/cold blood and dino/bird discussions.
Here's another topic that seems to require considerable analysis.