From: Richard W Travsky [mailto:rtravsky@uwyo.edu]
Sent: 24 November 1999 15:17
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Vredefort

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Ilja Nieuwland wrote:
> I am certainly no expert at this, but doesn't all this rather beg the
question how much impact the earth can bear before its structural integrity
is compromised? If a 'mere' one-mile diameter projectile can produce all
this
maehem (one million Krakatoa explosions is quite expressive), then where
would
a five of more-diameter comet leave us?

Well, from the standpoint of a biologic, yes, it's bad, but look at the
moon. It took some pretty big hits and it's a lot smaller than the Earth.