Re: Big Craters

In a message dated 11/24/99 11:06:26 AM EST, LOKICORP@compuserve.com writes:

<< NAME OF CRATER:  Morokweng
 LOCATION:  southern Africa
 AGE:  at or very near Jurassic-Cretaceous boundary (with which no mass
 extinctions are associated) >>

We don't know anything about the J-K boundary in Africa, so we can't tell
whether there was an associated extinction event on the continent where the
impact took place. But there certainly is quite a change in the nature of the
dinosaurs worldwide fas one crosses the J-K boundary. Until we can improve
sampling of fossil record at J-K boundary, it is perhaps premature to say
that there was no mass extinction. I believe Bakker has published evidence
from the Morrison about a possible J-K mass extinction.