Re: Bays and impacts (was RE: Theories on the extinction of dinosaurs) and the Vredefort impact structure...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr., said,

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
To: <randyk@ims.com>; <jrccea@bellsouth.net>; <STARSONG@prodigy.net>;
<dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 1999 1:55 PM
Subject: Bays and impacts (was RE: Theories on the extinction of dinosaurs)

..."Incidentally, as a Chesapeake-region earth scientist, I want to point
out that the Chesapeake Bay is NOT an impact structure!!!"

..."So, although the Eocene impact may have had some influence on the course
of
the Chesapeake River, the impact is not responsible for the Chesapeake Bay."

    Tom, thanks for pointing this out, because although I don't recall
anyone suggesting on the list that the Chesapeake Bay was formed by the
Eocene impact event at the mouth of the Chesapeake, my wording in last
night's posting might have left such a mis-impression on someone who did not
read it carefully.  But, I meant only that the Chesapeake Bay was not there
at the time of the Eocene impact event at what is now the mouth of the
Chesapeake.

    Hey, Holtz!  You should've been a teacher!  ;)

    Ray Stanford