Re: Vredefort

-----Original Message-----
Ilja Nieuland wrote:

I am certainly no expert at this, but doesn't all this rather beg the question how much impact the earth can bear before its structural integrity is compromised?

Brings me to another thought that keeps occurring (...more wild speculation!???..8^). Perhaps some hardcore geologists out there can set me straight. Could some of the larger meteor strikes that have occurred in the past be a significant cause of magma currents that power plate tectonics? I know that internal release of radioactivity is supposed to be the cause, but couldn`t a large (fast moving) meteor strike penetrate into the deep mantle and cause long-term displacement of matter that would result in long term reestablishment of equilibrium (as far as material density...similar to the rise of ancient mountain roots). Could this be what powers plate tectonics?