Re: Vredefort

At 07:05 AM 11/25/99 -0500, Larry Febo wrote:

> [...]

Certainly a large enough impact could wreak havoc on the crust, and even
overturn large parts of the mantle.  No such impact has occurred in the last
3.5 billion years, of this we can be fairly certain.

However, as geologists have known about the impact that produced the Moon for
decades, I am sure they have taken that into consideration in modeling the
driving forces of plate tectonics.  So, it seems unlikely to me that this sort
of thing is the origin of the mantle circulation.