Re: Nick Hotton (3)

As with Drs. Farlow and Holtz, I would also like to briefly share my feelings
on Nick Hotton.

He was one of the first paleontologists I interviewed for my various projects.
Actually, Dr. Hotton didn't have e-mail, so I sent a message to the Smithsonian
scouting him out.  One day I got home from school and my mother told me I got a
call from some guy from the Smithsonian.  She didn't have any clue who he was,
but regardless, they made small talk for a few minutes before she told him that
I would be home a little later.

Sure enough, an hour or so later Dr. Hotton called me from his home and we
chatted.  It was then when I learned that he once lived in LaSalle, Illinois,
some 15 miles from my home in Ottawa, Illinois.  He also went to the local
junior college for a few years, in the 1930's!  Now the juco is known as a
different name!

Dr. Hutton was also one of the nicest paleontologists I have talked to (along
with Drs. Holtz and Farlow, of course!).  Another great guy who I interviewed
was Jack Sepkoski, who also passed away shortly after our talk.  Both men were
quick to help and answer questions for me, a simple apprentice in this large,
odd world of paleontology.

And, yes, he was also a great and monumental scientists.  I will always
remember him, aside from our talk, as the "Cold Look at the Warm Blooded
Reptiles" man.  Of course, he also told me a lot about his field work in Texas
and his studies of lizards.  A very interesting man, a man who will be deeply
missed, and a void in paleontology that will not be able to be filled.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/8152