Re: Cite correctlly (Re: Limbs and niche partitioning)

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:32:36 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi Dino List,
>
>Actually it was Alistair Hardy who suggested it to her in the 1960s. And no
>evidence? Hardly... but this is not the forum for discussing it. It was an
>interesting parallel theoretically and I still wonder if there was an
>aquatic phase for archosaurs...

It is HIGHLY doubtful that an upright stance would be an adaptation to an
aquatic enviroment, so I seriously doubt that would have lead to bipedal,
flying archeasaurs. Simply put, the most common traits gained by an aquatic
lifestyle are a. webbed digits, leading to b. flippers, ending in c. no
limbs at all.

p.s. The book I referred to that recounts the "aquatic ape" theory is
Abominable Snowman: Legend Come to Life (New York: 1961) by Ivan T.
Sanderson,