Long Necks

I went to a zoo in St. Paul, MN, today with my son's Third
Grade class, and at one point we were very close to three
giraffes. I was surprised how thin the necks of these
animals were. I'd guess the distance front-to-back of their
necks was three or four times the distance side-to-side, in
contrast to animals like horses or deer, where the ratio is
probably closer to 2:1.

I've been trying to remember how the various long necks of
dinosaurs are usually depicted, and I'm thinking they are
usually much rounder than the giraffe necks I saw today
were. Yes? No? And, what is most justifiable, and why?