Re: Limbs and niche partitioning

dbensen wrote:

> I think the 'aquatic ape theory' makes some logical sense

As a former lifeguard, the AAT makes no sense at all - sorry.  The last
thing I would want to do to move in the water is walk or run in a
vertical posture.  That generates all kinds of resistance.  Even
nonswimmers tend to assume a horizontal posture when in the water,
unless they're panicking or trying to tread water.  And remember -
treading water is a way to stay in one place, NOT a means of
transportation.

There was a paper in Journal of Human Evolution a couple of years ago
basically debunking it once and for all.  I believe someone posted it on
this list a while back.

(Sorry for the non-archosaurian comments.)

chris

--
Christopher A. Brochu

voice: 312-665-7633  (NEW)