Re: Long Necks

In a message dated 10/2/99 10:35:48 AM EST, tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu writes:

<< Is there a difference? The only recent study I've heard of that disbands
 Euhelopodidae (Wilson & Sereno's) didn't include _Mamenchisaurus_, did it?
 I'm interested to hear an alternate placement of _Mamenchisaurus_. >>

I disagree with placement of Euhelopus in W&S papers. If this placement is
correct, then need to explain what it was about living in Late Jurassic China
(and nowhere and nowhen else) that caused two >different< sauropod groups
there to develop >same number< of extra cervical vertebrae, laterally
compressed cervicals, and bifid posterior cervical and anterior dorsal neural
spines.