Re: Proceratosaurus

From: dbensen <dbensen@gotnet.net>
Besides, since I've searched our archives and nobody's talked about
Proceratosaurus bradleyi before, we will all be doing ourselves a favor.

Very brief entry by Molnar from _The Dinosauria_, reads:

_Proceratosaurus bradleyi_  Huene, 1926

A single skull with both jaws but lacking the cranial roof is the basis of _P. bradleyi_ (Woodward 1910), originally described as a species of _Megalosaurus_. The specimen comes from the Bathonian Great Oolite of Gloucestershire, England. Although the dorsal portion of the skull is missing, enough remains to show that a medial horn core sat on the nasals above the nares. The skull is lightly built and the premaxillary and mesial dentary teeth are distinctly smaller than the more distal teeth of both jaws. The surangular is shallow, indicating that _Proceratosaurus_ is not a carnosaur. Paul (1988) has argued that _P. bradleyi_ is related to _Ornitholestes hermanni_.
p. 316
--my comments below--
GSPaul showed that there are numerous similarities between _Proceratosaurus_ and _Ornitholestes_, and this was part of the reason he began restoring the latter with a small median horn. More recently, I think Currie (et al.?) have suggested that the median structure in _Proceratosaurus_ may actually represent a midline crest rather than a horn (sorry, don't have the ref with me), a convergence with _Monolophosaurus_. I believe that the mandible is shallower in _Proceratosaurus_ than in _Ornitholestes_. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* that many now regard this taxon as and indeterminate basal coelurosaur.

Jack