Re: Pterosaurian Pedal Clinching (Batman! :) )

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaime A. Headden <qilongia@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Cc: Danvarner@aol.com <Danvarner@aol.com>
Date: Thursday, October 07, 1999 2:04 AM
Subject: Re: Pterosaurian Pedal Clinching (Batman! :) )

>  Padian, K. 1983. Osteology and functional morphology
>of *Dimorphodon macronyx* (Buckland) (Pterosauria:
>Rhamphorhynchoidea) based on new material in the Yale
>Peabody Museum. _Postilla_ 189: 1-44.
>
>  Merely argues for a cursorial capability, rather
>than a habitus.
>

>=====
>Jaime "James" A. Headden

Yet,...(as copied off the internet at
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vertebrates/flight/pter.html  ),

quoting Padians research,..."Pterosaurs are thought to be derived from a
bipedal, <b> cursorial </b> (running) archosaur such as Scleromochlus inthe
late Triassic period..."
and again..."We can infer that the origin of flight in pterosaurs fits the
<b> "ground up </b> evolutionary scenario, supported by the fact that
pterosaurs had no evident arboreal adaptations."

(note,...the key words "cursorial" and "ground up" are both in bold case
lettering!)