Re: Discovery Channel episode

----- Original Message -----
From: Raymond Ancog <rayancog@pacific.net.ph>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: 7. oktober 1999 19:42
Subject: Discovery Channel episode

> A friend of mine told me yesterday that he watched an episode on Discovery
> Channel (Asia) about someone discovering what he claims are the the
remains
> of the largest dinosaur ever (beating out Seismosaurus?), but which got
> lost during transport. I haven't been able to catch it (being an early
> sleeper :-) ), so does anyone here have any info about that?
>

> Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog
> Mines and Geosciences Bureau
> Philippines

I haven't seen the episode myself, but this might have been Cope's
Amphicoelias fragilimus
(a giant partial vertebrae that vanished on its way from excavation site to
the museum in New York more then a century ago). Greg Paul estimated the
sauropod (if Amphicoelias) to be between 45 and 60 meters long. That animal
would overthrow Belaenoptera musculus (blue whale) from the throne of the
longest (yet not the heaviest) vertebrate ever. All we have are line
drawings.

Sincerely,
Berislav Krzic: economist, editor, illustrator, webmaster, writer
dinosaurbero@geocities.com
illustrissimus@usa.net
ILLUSTRISSIMUS PRODUCTIONS
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/