ICZN Details

I was scrolling through the DinoGenera listing and had a rather unusual thought
(big shock, huh ;^).  I noticed that some genera have many junior synonyms
(JS).  Now, I noticed that some of these JS are pretty cool names for a
dinosaur (Brontosaurus being a JS to Apatosaurus, for example).  My question:
under ICZN rules, are these names off-limits for future species?

On one hand, I could see that since somebody assigned the name to a critter in
a professional paper, that particular name will always be associated with that
particular skeleton, even if that skeleton is later redefined to belong within
another, already existing, species.

OTOH, since the name is no longer in active use, it may be fair game to assign
it to a valid discovery.  Which is correct?

Rob Meyerson

***
Evil triumphs where good men do nothing.