pterosaur takeoffs

My recent posts on pterosaur-bird flight comparisons has got me thinking (always seems to happen in the wee hours of the morning!). Anyway,....I`m starting to wonder if  pterosaurs, even the smaller ones (ie. Dimorphodon) were capable of taking off from a running start on the ground (as Padian suggests). It seems to me that without the aid of a furcula to store energy, the wingbeat wouldn`t be fast enough for liftoff,...even while running. Perhaps this is why they retain the hand claws. They had to be able to climb to a higher perch (ie. the top of a cycad) in order to launch. (perhaps archaeopteryx had to perform similar). Any thoughts on this??