Re: sauropod necks

Jarno_Peschier@saybolt.nl wrote:

> So, if I understand this correctly, this would signify that Camarasaurus was
> completely incapable of drinking water from ground level or below? If the
> cervical vertebrae have to be disarticulted just to get the neck horizontal,
> how
> could it go even lower?

There are several extant species that are incapable of extending
their necks to the ground easily. The giraffe is an obvious example.
It has to do the "splits" with its front legs in order to drink.
Warthogs also can not reach the ground with their necks alone,
which can be a bother for a grazing animal. They have to go down
on their wrists to graze. In short, if sauropods needed to drink
water and their necks were inflexible enough to make this difficult,
they may have had to go down carefully on their forelimbs to
accomplish it. That said, I find it hard to believe that a brachiosaur
could have done this easily, with those extraordinary forelimbs.
I'm not familiar with camarasaur forelimbs though.

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia

        Australian Dinosaurs: