RE: *Procompsognathus*

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Justin S Tweet
>
>    I'm seeking enlightenment about *Procompsognathus triassicus*, namely:
>       1. its status vis-a-vis *Segisaurus*
>       2. its status vis-a-vis the famous coelophysids *Coelophysis* and
> *Syntarsus*

Paul Sereno, in his 1999 paper in Science (and more accurately, in the
Supplementary Data for his paper in Science) presents information linking
_Segisaurus_ and _Procompsognathus_, together Procompsognathinae, as the
sister taxon to _Coelophysis_ plus _Syntarsus_, together Coelophysinae.

>       3. whether or not the debate about its head has progressed
> beyond the
> information in *Dinosaurs-the Encyclopedia*

Yes and no: Yes, the debate has progressed, in that Sankar Chatterjee has
presented several talks on the subject.  However, these talks are not yet
published.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796>