Re: could / did sauropods drink?

>>My understanding is that the "dinosaurian" water metabolism was probably
like modern birds' and unlike modern mammals'
-- i.e. water-efficient as opposed to water-wasteful  (see Colbert if I
remember correctly. This may have helped dinos edge out other critters in
the generally-dry Triassic) and therefore sauropods quite possibly got all
the water they needed from their diet,  *did not need to drink*,  and did
not need to be constructed so that they could.<<
Despite what I said about Camarasaurus being desert-adapted, I find it very
difficult to believe that dinosaurs, especially sauropods never drank.  Small
animals like gerbils and tortoises can get all of their water from vegetables,
but large, high-metablism animals like sauropods couldn't possibly have eaten
enough vegetable matter to get enough water to fuel their bodies.  I suppose I
could picture Apatasaurus or Diplodocus not having to drink, since they
probably ate water-ritch ground-hugging plants, but since they could bend
their necks six feet underground anyway, that isn't an issue.  The sauropods
we are discussing are peg-toothed treetop browses, and there isn't much water
in pine needles.

Dan