RE: pterosaur takeoffs

How does an Albatross manage to take off?
Could be some similarities there

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Febo [mailto:larryf@capital.net]
Sent: 11 October 1999 12:46
To: dbensen
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: pterosaur takeoffs

-----Original Message-----
From: dbensen <dbensen@gotnet.net>
To: larryf@capital.net <larryf@capital.net>
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Sunday, October 10, 1999 12:05 PM

           (some of my confusing comments clipped!)
>>(Still, any comments about all this welcome...8^)<<

>Actualy, even if that thing about not taking off is only relevent to
>pterosaurs that are sitting in the water, it is VERY relevent becuase
>most pterosaurs were fish-eaters!  Ducks, especialy sea-ducks have to be
>able to take off from the water quikly or else be gotten from underneath
>by a shark or some other carnivore.  If pterosaurs couldn't get up out
>of the water fast enough to escape a shark or mososaur or whatever, then
>all of the picutres of them sitting in the water like ducks are wrong. .
>. unless they had some _other_ way of getting away.
>
>Dan

Actually,...I have a lot of trouble seeing them as being able to fly up out
of the water as well! I know there were some with the long beaks that were
supposed to skim the surface and catch fish and all that, but,perhaps they
didn`t actually land on the water. it seems to me that it would be even
harder for them to break the waters surface and get up momentum to fly
again. OK, they may have had webbed feet, but I thought they would also need
to flap very rapidly to get airborn off water, and rapid flapping requires a
furcula (again I thought?). They would have needed  relatively "short" wings
to boot!. Long wings would have hit the waters surface no??

Why does figuring out exactly what these dead things once did in life
present such an enigma???