Re: You could lead a sauropod to water ...

Folks, the answer is obvious.  Sauropods clearly would drink on the same
model as a hummingbird, with a very long tongue.  They would simply
flick their tongues down to the water and lap it up.  In fact, that's
probably why they have such long necks - like woodpeckers, they
obviously had very long hyoid apparati to support these tongues, and the
neck was needed to hold them.  I wouldn't be surprised if the deep
forking of the neural spines we see in some sauropods supported not the
nuchal ligament, but ceratohyal elements that have rotated dorsally away
from the pharynx.

(Let's see how long it takes for the popular media to take this
seriously and print it....)

chris

--
Christopher A. Brochu