Re: Pterosaur Takeoffs (Under-rated Bats)

dbensen wrote:

> Well, I may be wrong about unfolding the wings before takeoff.  The only
> way we can know for sure is to look at pterosaur weight, and fiddle
> around with articulated bones to see if they could manage to open their
> wings while standing on them.

Which is what I've been doing with Qspecies and Qnorthropi for the last two
years.  They couldn't open their wings while standing on them.  That
happened about midway through the first upstroke, and the 'opening'
completed about midway through the first downstroke.  Incidentally, the
shape of the joint between PhIV-3 & PhIV-4 implies that their wingtips
occasionally slapped the water while they were making a feeding run.

Jim