Re: Coracoid question

In a message dated 10/13/99 1:45:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tlford@ix.netcom.com writes:

> 2. Can you think of any other genera in which the manus digits increase
>  laterally until digit V, which grows no longer than metacarpal IV. I can
>  think only of Tanystropheids, Cosesaurus, Longisquama and of course,
>  pterosaurs.

Last I looked, this was also true of many (most?) lizards.  Probably has
something to do with the primitive amniote phalangial formula 2-3-4-5-4,
which itself probably has something to do with the fact that digit IV is the
first to form in the embryo (at least primitively; this is NOT intended to
start another thread on avian digit homology).

--Nick P.