RE: Trees and islands

See Shipman's "Taking Wing" ch.8.  "There is no fossil evidence of tall trees
in the area, despite the excellent preservation of plant fossils.  There were
shrubs in the area that may have grown as large as ten feet tall."  Sand,
scrub.  I don't have a feeling for whether the scrub was in the form of
isolated bushes or largish thickets.  Fire and and storms tend to clear out
this sort of coastal area frequently, so it may have varied.

  --Toby White