Re: Specific names

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, dbensen wrote:

> I like to put english translation of the dinosaurs' latin names on my
> website, but most sorces only give translations of the generic names.
> Some things, like Ornitholestes hermanni (Herman's bird theif) are easy,
> but some of the others I have no idea for.  For some of the mammles I
> don't enven know the generic translation.  Could some kind soul perhaps
> translate these?

The new version of the Dinosauricon (due out in a few weeks --really, this
time -- I hope) will feature meanings of specific names, when I know the
meaning, anyway.

> (Cosesaurus) aviceps

"bird-headed"?

> (Apatosaurus) ajax

Ajax was a figure in Greek mythology, IIRC.

> (Compsognathus) longipes

long-footed

> Asioryctes nemegetensis

from the Nemegt Formation
Don't know about the generic name.

> (Mononykus) olecranus

named for its robust olecranon process

> (Tyrannosaurus) bataar

Mongolian for "warrior"

> (Pteranodon) longiceps

long-headed

> ( Struthiomimus) altus

tall

I, too, would greatly appreciate anyone illuminating the ones I left out.

--T. Michael Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu | THE DINOSAURICON: http://dinosaur.umbc.edu/
AOL IM:   RicBlayze | WORLDS:    http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1/