Re: Millennium

In a message dated 10/14/99 10:43:12 PM EST, twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com
writes:

<< Umm... no it isn't.  Once a name is used, it's preoccupied for eternity,
 regardless of whether somebody considers it a junior synonym or not.  I
 thought that's what the "ICZN thread" was all about. >>

One cannot name a second species in the genus Sinornithosaurus
"Sinornithosaurus millennii" when there's already a "Sinornithosaurus
millenii" in the genus. ICZN rules allow generic names to coexist if their
spellings differ by even a single letter, but not so species within a genus.
Species names must be distinctly different within a genus, as specified in
Article 58 of the Zoological Code; I'm sure millennii and millenii (and
millenni and milleni as well) would be disallowed.