Re: Specific names

-----Original Message-----
From: dbensen <dbensen@gotnet.net>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Thursday, October 14, 1999 12:07 PM
Subject: Specific names

>I like to put english translation of the dinosaurs' latin names on my
>website, but most sorces only give translations of the generic names.
>Some things, like Ornitholestes hermanni (Herman's bird theif) are easy,
>but some of the others I have no idea for.  For some of the mammles I
>don't enven know the generic translation.  Could some kind soul perhaps
>translate these?
>(Cosesaurus) aviceps

This one`s not technically a "dinosaur", it`s a prolacertilian. (could be a
dinosaur ancestor though!). Dave Peters sees it as a possible pterosaur
ancestor. At his webpage, he says it is "named for the Cose people of
Spain". Ellenberger (who thought it was a bird ancestor) gave it the
"bird-headed" aviceps tag.