Stegosaurus species

My Web site currently lists _Stegosaurus_ _ungulatus_ as a junior synonym
of _Stegosaurus_ _armatus_.  It has recently been suggested to me that they
have different numbers of tail spikes (four and two respectively), thus
precluding them from being in the same species.

Is this argument valid?  Do they really have different numbers of tail
spikes, or is this only an *apparent* difference to the _S. armatus_
skeleton being incomplete?  Or is something else going on here?  Certainly
Galton in Weishampel's _The Dinosauria_ makes them synonyms.  It seems
unlikely to me that he would make such an elementary error.