Re: You could lead a sauropod to water ...

In a message dated 10/13/99 1:52:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mbonnan@hotmail.com writes:

<< Tongues aside, the gastrointestinal gases of sauropods were probably
directed through the soles of their feet.  They would therefore hover over
ground, but like hovercraft on an uneven surface, would drift downhill.   >>

Hmmm.
As I recall, these gastrointestinal gases are swamp gas, as analyzed in the
great essays on the cow contribution to global warming.  Now, methane is
flammable, burning, if I remember correctly, with a light blue flame
sometimes referred to as will o' the wisp.
So, we are to imagine that on warm dark nights the forest paths of the
Jurassic were illumined by the soft blue lights of schussing sauropods.  Can
we not also imagine they sometimes raised their heads as they hurtled and
bellowed in the rushing wind?  A human would think them ghost lights until he
reached out to touch the glowing cloud and found what? 20 tons of sauropod
perching momentarily, very momentarily on his outstretched arm.
Perhaps time travel could produce a movie called Jurassic Sitzmark?

Not all the good jokes are killed by an interest in paleontology, Matt!