RE: Birds (was Re: You could lead a sauropod to water ...)

Dear Toby

Here are some references for the bird fossil record

1.
Pierce Brodkorb, 1963
Catalogue of Fossil Birds. Part 1 (Archaeopterygiformes through Ardeiformes)
Bulletin of the Florida.State Museum, Biological Sciences 7 (4): 179-293

2.
Pierce Brodkorb, 1964
Catalogue of Fossil Birds. Part 2 (Anseriformes through Galliformes)
Bulletin of the Florida State Museum, Biological Sciences 8: 195-335

3.
Pierce Brodkorb, 1967
Catalogue of Fossil Birds. Part 3 (Ralliformes, Ichthyornithiformes,
Charadriiformes)
Bulletin of the Florida State Museum, Biological Sciences 11: 99-220

4.
Pierce Brodkorb, 1971
Catalogue of Fossil Birds. Part 4 (Columbiformes through Piciformes)
Bulletin of the Florida State Museum, Biological Sciences 15: 163-266

5.
Pierce Brodkorb, 1978
Catalogue of Fossil Birds. Part 5 (Passeriformes)
Bull. Fla. State Mus., Biol. Sci. 23: 139-228

6.
Lowell Dingus, 1997
The Mistaken Extinction: Dinosaur Evolution and the Origin of Birds
W. H. Freeman and Company, New York

7.
Alan Feduccia, 1996 / 1999
The Origin and Evolution of Birds
Yale University Press / second edition

8.
Storrs L. Olson, 1985
The Fossil Record of Birds
In Avian Biology, vol. 8, ed D.S. Farner, J.R. King and K.C. Parkes. pg. 79-252.
New York: Academic Press

Only Brodkorb gives the complete fossil record, but of course only complete
to 1978.
Olson gives a lot of taxonomic changes
Dingus  anf Feduccia are more talking about bird evolution

Fred Ruhe