Re: Sinosauropteryx

Timothy Williams wrote:

> I understand a third _S. prima_ has been found, with a little mammal in its
> tummy.  Does anyone got any info on this one - cat #, known material,
> integument, etc?

I can't give you a specimen catalog number, but you can see a nice, two page
spread of the fossil on pp. 78-79 of the July 1998 _National Geographic_, Vol.
194, No. 1.  There is an inset photo of the tiny jaws of its prey.  I am unaware
of any (other) published descriptions of the third specimen (although it has
been described orally by Philip Currie), nor do I know of any papers describing
the fourth specimen which Dong Zhiming mentioned at the 1997 SVP meeting in
Chicago.  Perhaps the third specimen will be published in the year 2000 in the
Dinofest 1998 symposium proceedings.

The third specimen is a complete, articulated skeleton, with some fossilized
integument preserved.  Dinosaur list members who saw it when it was on display
at the National Geographic headquarters in Washington, D.C. have remarked on the
small fan of feathers at the very tip of the tail, which, it turns out,
originated from a bird fossil and were grafted on to _Sinosauropteryx_ by the
farmer who discovered it in an effort to make the feathered dinosaur look more
"interesting."

-- Ralph W. Miller III       gbabcock@best.com