new book

     I've just received a fun little book from Don Glut:  _Carbon Dates: A
     Day by Day Almanac of Paleo Anniversaries and Dino Events_, McFarland
     and Company, 1999, $28.50, ISBN 0-7864-0592-9, paperback).

     Basically, pick any date of the year, and Glut's book will tell you
     what dinosaur-related events happened.  In addition to the boring (heh
     heh) entries involving real paleontology, Glut also lists the good
     stuff, involving dinosaurs in SF and the movies.  I was delighted to
     learn that I was born on the same day that Edgar Rice Burroughs
     finished writing _Tarzan at the Earth's Core_.  What an honor!

     There are lots of photographs, most of which will be familiar to the
     serious dinosaur fan, but nice to see again anyway.

     All told, an amusing and clever contribution.