Re: Archeoraptor Article

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Sara Burch wrote:

> Our local newspaper recently published an article on _Archeoraptor
> liaoningensis_ in which Phil Currie was quoted saying that this is the
> first dinosaur capable of flying, but it wouldn't have been a very good
> flyer.Does anyone know if this is true? Is this just press hype to make
> it more interesting to the public?

Seeing as the Liaoning creatures postdate _Archaeopteryx_ by about 25
million years, I don't see how Archaeoraptor could possibly be the first
flying dinosaur... the most primitive one, maybe -- guess we'll have to
wait until it's been described (or has it yet?).

> It said _Tyrannosaurus_ may have had down on it's body when it was a
> baby, which it shed out as it got older, and spelled "Theropod" as
> "Theopod." Doesn't that mean something like "Religious foot"?

More like "foot of God", I think. Not a bad name for some large sauropod
taxon...

--T. Michael Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu | THE DINOSAURICON: http://dinosaur.umbc.edu/
AOL IM:   RicBlayze | WORLDS:    http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1/