Re: early dino news from Madagascar

dbensen wrote:

> ``They are at least as old as any dinosaurs that have been described
>before,'' Flynn said in a telephone interview. ``We think they
> could be the oldest known.''
>
> Circumstantial evidence dates them to the early Triassic period, 230
>million years ago, Flynn, along with colleagues at the University
> of California at Santa Barbara, Northern Illinois University and the
>University of Antananarivo in Madagascar report in the journal
> Science.<<
>
>Wha?!  Prosauropods in the Early Triassic?!

Actually, probably in the Middle Triassic. For more details see
http://www.fieldmuseum.org where there are links on the front page to the
new stuff. I just talked with John Flynn and it sounds very important. They
also have mammal-like reptiles making the transition to mammals that are
very well preserved. They've really only just started getting the bones out
of the matrix, so there's lots more to come.

Jeff Hecht     Boston Correspondent    New Scientist magazine
525 Auburn St.,          Auburndale, MA 02466             USA
tel 617-965-3834 fax 617-332-4760 e-mail jhecht@world.std.com
see New Scientist on the Web: http://www.newscientist.com/