Aussie hypsies (was Re: Dwarf Allosaurs)

Dann Pigdon wrote:

There was also quite
a variety of hypsilophodontid species from the southern Victorian sites, some of
them quite large for hypsies.

With _Qantassaurus_ the tally is now four (including the poorly-known _Fulgurotherium_). It may be that the phyletic diverity of Aussie ornithopods may be greater than usually thought. As somebody pointed out in a previous posting (forgotten who, maybe it was you Dann! - apologies if it was) the "hypsilophodontid" _Atlascopcosaurus_ shows striking similarities in dental morphology to _Muttaburrasaurus_ (originally regarded as an iguanodontid, but now placed near the base of the Euornithopoda). The Aussie ornithopod genera which we call "hypsilophodontids" may represent several different euornithopod lineages.

I've heard from several sources that there's a paper coming out soon that splits the Hypsilophodontidae up into several not-so-closely-related lineages. I can't wait to see it. At the very least, it could put a whole new spin on the relationships of the Aussie hypsilophodontids.

Tim