CHINESE 'DEEP THROAT'

Those of you who have received their November/December Skeptical Inquirer would know what I am talking about in the subject line. Supposedly a "Chinese paleontologist" lectures on how the fossil record does not conform to standard Darwianian evolution. We're not talking punctuated equilibrium (which isn't anti-Darwianian in the first place) but some theory of alledged "intelligence". SI could not find anything behind the claim, but to those of you in the know with Chinese paleontologists: is there anything to the story or is it another lie from a certain group of fanatical people which cannot be discussed on this list? The story sounds questionable to me, especially as it came from a certain out-spoken Berkeley lawyer.

By the way, just picked up a copy of _At the Water's Edge_; what a great book.

Matt Troutman
m_troutman@hotmail.com