Elk and canids (or is this canids and elk?) (long)

-not paleo-
but FABULOUS carnivore behavior reference.
A search on Deja News shouyld reveal the particulars....

-Betty Cunningham
(I have not laughed so hard in a LONNNGGGG time)

Recent thread in rec.pets...
>>Anne V - 01:01pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1318 of 1332)
Okay - I know how to take meat away from a dog. How do I take a dog away
from meat? This is not, unfortunately, a joke.

>>AmyC - 01:02pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1319 of 1332)
Um, can you give us a few more specifics here?

>>Anne V - 01:12pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1320 of 1332)
They're inside of it. They crawled inside, and now I have a giant
incredibly heavy piece of carcass in my yard, with 2 dogs inside of it,
and they are NOT getting bored of it and coming out. One of them is
snoring. I have company arriving in three hours, and my current plan is
to 1. put up a tent over said carcass and 2. hang thousands of fly
strips inside it. This has been going on since about 6:40 this morning.

>>AmyC - 01:19pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1321 of 1332)
Oh. My. God. What sort of carcass is big enough to hold a couple of dogs
inside? Given the situation, I'm afraid you're not going to be create
enough of a diversion to get the dogs out of the carrion, unless they
like greeting company as much as they like rolling around in dead stuff.
Which seems unlikely. Can you turn a hose on the festivities?

>>Ase Innes-Ker - 01:31pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1322 of 1332)
I'm sorry Anne. I know this is a problem (and it would have driven me
crazy), but it is also incredibly funny.

>>Anne V - 01:31pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1323 of 1332)
Elk. Elk are very big this year, because of the rain and good grazing
and so forth. They aren't rolling. They are alternately napping and
eating.  They each have a ribcage. Other dogs are working on them from
the outside. It's all way too primal in my yard right now. We tried the
hose trick. At someone elses house, which is where they climbed in and
began to refuse to come out. Many hours ago. I think that the hose
mostly helps keep them cool and dislodges little moist snacks for them.
hose failed. My new hope is that if they all continue to eat at this
rate, they will be finished before the houseguests arrive. The very
urban houseguests. Oh, ghod - I know it's funny. It's appalling, and
funny, and completely entirely representative of life with dogs.

>>Kristen R. - 01:37pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1324 of 1332)
I'm so glad I read this thread, dogless as I am. Dogs in elk. Dogs in
elk.

>>Anne V - 01:41pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1325 of 1332)
It's like that childrens book out there - dogs in elk, dogs on elk, dogs
around elk, dogs outside elk. And there is some elk inside of, as well
as on, each dog at this point.

>>Elizabeth K - 01:57pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1328 of 1333)
Anne, aren't you in Arizona or Nevada? There are elk there? I'm so
confused! We definately need to see pics of Gus Pong and Jake in the elk
carcass.

>>Anne V - 02:03pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1329 of 1333)
I am in New Mexico, but there are elk in both arizona and nevada, yes.
There are elk all over the damn place. They don't look out very often.
If you stand the ribcage on end they scramble to the top and look out,
all red. Otherwise, you kinda have to get in there a little bit yourself
to really see them. So I think there will not be pictures.

>>CoseyMo - 02:06pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1330 of 1333)
"all red;" I'm not sure the deeper horror of all this was fully borne in
upon me till I saw that little phrase.

>>Anne V - 02:10pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1331 of 1333)
Well, you know, the Basenji (that would be Jake) is a desert dog,
naturally, and infamous for it's aversion to water. And then, Gus Pong
(who is coming to us, live, unamplified and with a terrific reverb which
is making me a little dizzy) really doesn't mind water, but hates to be
cold.  Or soapy. And both of them can really run. Sprints of up to 35
mph have been clocked. So. If ever they come out, catching them and
returning them to a condition where they can be considered house pets is
not going to be, shall we say, pleasant.

>>CoseyMo - 02:15pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1332 of 1333)
What if you stand the ribcage on end, wait for them to look out, grab
them when they do and pull?

>>Anne V - 02:18pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1333 of 1333)
They wedge their toes between the ribs. And scream. We tried that before
we brought the elk home from the mountain with dogs inside. Jake nearly
took my friends arm off. He's already short a toe, so he cherishes the
15 that remain.

>>Linda Hewitt - 02:30pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1336 of 1356)
Have you thought about calling your friendly vet and paying him to come
pick up the dogs, elk and letting the dogs stay at the vets overnight.
If anyone would know what to do, it would be your vet. It might cost
some money, but it would solve the immediate crisis. Keep us posted.

>>ChristiPeters - 02:37pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1337 of 1356)
Yikes! My sympathy! When I lived in New Mexico, my best friend's dog
(the escape artist) was continually bringing home road kill. When there
was no road kill convenient, he would visit the neighbor's house. Said
neighbor slaughtered his own beef. The dog found all kinds of impossibly
gross toys in the neighbor's trash pit. I have always had medium to
large dogs. The smallest dog I ever had was a mutt from the SPCA who
matured out at just above knee high and about 55 pounds. Our current dog
(daughter's choice) is a Pomeranian. A very small Pomeranian. She's 8
months old now and not quite 4 pounds. I'm afraid I'll break her.

>>Lori Shiraishi - 02:38pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1338 of 1356)
Bet you could fit a whole lot of Pomeranians in that there elk carcass!
Anne - my condolences on what must be a unbelievable situation!

>>Anne V - 02:44pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1339 of 1356)
I did call my vet. He laughed until he was gagging and breathless. He
says a lot of things, which can be summed as *what did you expect?* and
*no, there is no such thing as too much elk meat for a dog.* He is
planning to stop over and take a look on his way home. Thanks, Lori. I
am almost surrendered to the absurdity of it.

>>Lori Shiraishi - 02:49pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1340 of 1356)
>>"He is planning to stop over and take a look on his way home."
So he can fall down laughing in person?

>>Anne V - 02:50pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1341 of 1356)
Basically, yeah. That would be about it.

>>AmyC - 02:56pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1342 of 1356)
>>>no, there is no such thing as too much elk meat for a dog."
Oh, sweet lord, Anne. You have my deepest sympathies in this, perhaps
the most peculiar of the Gus Pong Adventures. You are truly a woman of
superhuman patience. wait -- you carried the carcass down from the
mountains with the dogs inside?

>>Anne V - 02:59pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1343 of 1356)
>>>the carcass down from the mountains with the dogs inside?
no, well, sort of. My part in the whole thing was to get really stressed
about a meeting that I had to go to, and say *yeah, ok, whatever* when
it was suggested that the ribcages, since we couldn't get the dogs out
of them and the dogs couldn't be left there, be brought to my house.
Because, you know - I just thought they would get bored of it sooner or
later. But it appears to be later, in the misty uncertain future, that
they will get bored. Now, they are still interested. And very loud, one
singing, one snoring.

>>Lori Shiraishi - 03:04pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1344 of 1356)
>>And very loud, one singing, one snoring.
wow. I can't even begin to imagine the acoustics involved with singing
from the inside of an elk.

>>Anne V - 03:04pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1345 of 1356)
reverb. lots and lots of reverb.

>>Anne V - 03:15pm Sep 9, 1999 PDT (# 1347 of 1356)
I'll tell you the thing that is causing me to lose it again and again,
and then I have to go back outside and stay there for a while. After the
meeting, I said to my (extraordinary) boss, *look, I've gotta go home
for the rest of the day, I think. Jake and Gus Pong are inside some elk
ribcages, and my dad is coming tonight, so I've got to get them out
somehow.* And he said, pale and huge-eyed, *Annie, how did you explain
the elk to the clients?* The poor, poor man thought I had the carcasses
brought to work with me. For some reason, I find this deeply funny.

>>(weekend pause)

>>Anne V - 08:37am Sep 13, 1999 PDT (# 1395 of 1405)
So what we did was put the ribcages (containing dogs) on tarps and drag
them around to the side yard, where I figured they would at least be
harder to see, and then opened my bedroom window so that the dogs could
let me know when they were ready to be plunged into a de-elking solution
and let in the house. Then I went to the airport. Came home, no visible
elk, no visible dogs. Peeked around the shrubs, and there they were,
still in the elk. By this time, they had gnawed out some little
portholes between some of the ribs, and you got the occasional very
frightening limpse of something moving around in there if you watched
long enough. After a lot of agonizing, I went to bed. I closed the back
door, made sure my window was open, talked to the dogs out of it until I
as sure they knew it was open, and then I fell asleep.

Sometimes, sleep is a mistake, no matter how tired you are. And
especially if you are very very tired, and some of your dogs are
outside, inside some elks. Because when you are that tired, you sleep
through bumping kind of noises, or you kind of think that it's just the
house guests. It was't the house guests. It was my dogs, having an
attack of teamwork unprecedented in our domestic history. When I finally
woke all the way up, it was to a horrible vision. Somehow, 3 dogs with a
combined weight of about 90 pounds, managed to hoist one of the ribcages
(the meatier one, of course) up 3 feet to rest on top of the swamp
cooler outside the window, and push out the screen. What woke me was Gus
Pong, howling in frustration from inside the ribcage, very close to my
head, combined with feverish little grunts from Jake, who was standing
on the nightstand, bracing himself against the curtains with remarkably
bloody little feet.

Here are some things I have learned, this Rosh Hashanah weekend:
1. almond milk removes elk blood from curtains and pillowcases,
2. We can all exercise superhuman strength when it comes to getting elk
carcasses out of our yard,
3. The sight of elk ribcages hurtling over the fence really frightens
the nice deputy sheriff who lives across the street, and
4. the dogs can pop the screens out of the windows, without damaging
them, from either side.

>>Anne V - 09:58am Sep 13, 1999 PDT (# 1401 of 1405)
What I am is really grateful that they didn't actually get the damn
thing in the window, which is clearly the direction they were going in.
And that the nice deputy didn't arrest me for terrifying her with elk
parts before dawn.

>>AmyC - 09:59am Sep 13, 1999 PDT (# 1402 of 1405)
Imagine waking up with a gnawed elk carcass in your bed, like a
real-life "Godfather" with an all-dog cast.

>>Anne V - 10:01am Sep 13, 1999 PDT (# 1403 of 1405)
There is not enough almond milk in the world to solve an event of that
kind.

--
Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com