Re: Dwarf Allosaurs (was Re: Archeoraptor Article)

Prevalence of dwarf allosaurs? Hang on, that big pedal theropod claw from
Vic. would have been over 15 cm in length when complete - there was at
least one really big theropod in the polar rift-valley...theres probably
some taphonomic bias going on that favours the preservation of small
elements... Also, what few dinosaurs remains we have from Cretaceous New
Zealand (sauropods, theropods, ornithopods, ankylosaurs), which seems
display similar paleoenvironment to that of Victoria, show no sign of
dwarfism.

As for the WA material - its nothing to write home about. The only thing
that looks vaguely "allosaurish" is an isolated pedal phalange from the
Molecap Greensand (Cenomanian-Santonian) from an animal about 4 m long.
(This bone was found by accident due to some University of Western
Australia undergrads fooling around during a Geology excursion - they
kicked out a bone from some scree material, assumed it was from a sheep and
started playing Aussie rules with it...)  Not a particularly large animal
but then again, the footprint evidence suggests that there were BIG West
Aussie dinosaurs in the Cretaceous.

Cheerio
Brian

Dann Pidgon wrote