new Madasgascar : dating problems

"Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu> posted:

I finally got to see the latest report (in Science)
on the supposed Middle Triassic prosauropods from Madagascar.  While I
wouldn't be surprised at a Middle Triassic dinosaur per se (seeing as the
Carnian is the early part of the Late Triassic, and the
saurischian-ornithischian split had demonstrably occured by then), I wish
the support for the Middle Triassic Epoch for the unit was based on
something other than vertebrate biochronology.

Can anybody fill us in on a) just what is the problem in dating this? and
b) any possibility this problem can be resolved or worked around and some
"hard" dates produced for this??

Jeffrey Willson <jwillson@harper.cc.il.us>