RE: Tyrannosaurs gorged on the young

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Larry Dunn
>
> Here's the story:
>
> http://www.discovery.com/news/briefs/brief1.html?ct=3815c276
>
> So, what conclusions about tyrannosaur behavior can
> the lay-dude safely draw from this data?
>
> Was preying on sub-adults the tyrannosaur's likely MO
> (like the MO of many extant predators)?  Are there
> modern predators that take exclusively juvenile prey?
> (I am always a little loath to read too much into
> evidence.  Help me out here.)

Your loathing is well taken.  Therefore, let us not jump to additional
conclusions (i.e., comparisons to modern predatorys that take exclusively
juvenile prey...).

The evidence is that one (1) individual of _Daspletosaurus_ is associated
with the partly digested bone of a young hadrosaur.  Period.

Why even suggest going further?

(However, for those who suggest going further, please reverse your thinking:
try "are there any taxa which are prey items as young individuals but are
less likely to be killed and eaten as adults", and I think you may be in
more fruitful territory).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742